Hi everyone - update on the drama from last night.
I emailed the printer, outlining my issues and letting them know I wasn’t happy. The outcome of this has been an email informing me that my job is too difficult for digital printing, and that I’d be getting a refund…but no books. Apparently the whole job has been a nightmare from start to finish for them too - would have been really nice if they’d told me they were having such problems so I could try and work with them sooner, but this obviously didn’t happen. I am, obviously, furious.
Once this was confirmed and my (full) refund actioned, I started calling around, and have found a local firm that was very sympathetic to the whole messy situation, and gave me a quote within a couple of hours. HOWEVER: they quoted me for a different binding technique, and when I stopped by to check up on things, they said “OH” and are now trying to sort me out a new quote, having seen a physical copy of what I want. Apparently, this hardcover binding business is a pain in everyone’s butt and there are very few places who will do it in NZ. On the upside, they are two blocks away from me, meaning there will be no couriering stuff up and down the country and I can stop by and check on things personally…when they actually start to happen.
- there will be more of a delay, and at this point I can’t say for sure what that delay will be. New printer has told me if I haven’t heard from him by Friday to chase him up; hopefully I’ll hear back sooner.
- I may have to change the book size to A4 to avoid the same binding problems with a new company.
- there will be NO ADDITIONAL COST to customers - any difference in pricing will be covered by me.
- in the event (and I hope it doesn’t come to this) that I am unable to find an alternative binder, I will print the books using a different binding process, and customers will be contacted directly to be advised of the situation. If this happens, I will be offering partial refunds, or additional artwork to make up for the difference in final product.
If anyone would like a refund now, please contact me - otherwise, stay tuned, and I’ll let you know as soon as I have some kind of news to share. The last thing I want to do is can the project completely, but I did not even remotely expect this kind of trouble with a book that I thought I’d already finished! Please share this status around so everyone knows what’s happening, and if anyone has any concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you everyone for your patience.
Final book proof has arrived…and I just finished approving it for print!! Again, I’m sorry there have been some delays in printing - but I am sending the final file to the printer tonight (couldn’t resist tweaking one more image) and the whole run will commence asap :)
Estimate from the printer is that it’ll take about a week to print and bind everything, and then it’ll be shipped to me, and I will spend a few days cloistered in my apartment packing everything ready to ship out :D
Posters are printed and waiting for pickup (I ended up working all day today, so won’t be able to pick them up until Wednesday) and I have a whole lot of candy ready to be snuck into the parcels, too. Woo! Nearly there! Thank you so much for your patience everyone, I really appreciate it.